Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dying Breed - Print Media



I have two friends in the newspaper business. I know I can count on both for good conversation and bits of hilarious self-deprecation. Lately, things aren't looking good for the industry. The internet has left print newspapers behind, especially for people below the age of thirty. In 2008, 59 percent preferred the Internet, while 28 percent hung on to the old-fashioned method of reading a newspaper, according to a recent statement by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, a Washington, D.C.-based public opinion research organization.

Things are so bad that my buddy described working for the paper as "I feel like we're all on the deck of the Titanic, admiring the pretty icebergs." I recently read this article in the Washington Post by David Simon.
He does a wonderful job of bringing to light one aspect of the newspaper's relevance.
If it's too much for me to ask you to read, then please watch this video put together by the venerable Rocky Mountain News, which recently stopped print since being around two years before the first shots were fired in the Civil War.


Final Edition from Matthew Roberts on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment